Wednesday, June 1, 2011

In Progress Shots


The cutting phase was the most painstaking and grueling task of the project. More than 25 hours was spent turning whole corks into the 1800 hexagonal tiles. I ended up cutting more than 2000, however, I had to downsize the board to fit my backer material, turning more than 300 pieces in wasted effort.


Dying each piece to match my color scale was a painstaking task. Because each piece needed 10 -15 seconds to dye, more than 5 hours was spent simply coloring the cork tiles. The dye used was a combination of dehydrated black currant juice and boiled down coffee.


Ah, wood glue, the backbone of any good project...


I really did like the look of the cork board in this phase. Perhaps it was a waste of time to put all the pieces together only to rip them back off, but I felt like I needed to see the whole thing assembled. Plugging the pieces in without paying attention to orientation or value range was significantly faster than piecing together the final board. More than 23 hours was needed to adhere the final cork tiles to the backer board.

No comments: